SGP: Your Section of Family Practice
Every specialty in Doctors of BC is represented by a section. SGP is your Section of Family Practice.
We are the economic and political voice of family doctors within Doctors of BC.
Doctors of BC dues fund 4.5% of SGP’s budget. The remaining 95.5% of our work on behalf of all family doctors is financed by SGP membership dues.
SGP represents family practice at
- The Doctors of BC Board
- The General Practitioner Services Committee (GPSC)
- Negotiations with government through Doctors of BC.
- Many Doctors of BC and provincial committees
Scroll down this page to read more about our “3 roles” within the Doctors of BC mosaic.
helped to create GPSC programs including:
- Complex care
- Divisions of family practice
- Chronic care bonuses
- Fees for telephone calls, conferences & consultation
Read more about our advocacy work
Your SGP membership dues are your tax deductible contribution to ensuring a strong future for family practice.
Thank you for your supportAdd SGP Membership to your Doctors of BC profile
SGP in the mosaic of 34 Sections
Each section collects dues, which members pay in addition to basic Doctors of BC dues, to support their section’s work.
In addition to our role as the section, SGP is also a registered Society in British Columbia.
SGP’s 3 Roles:
1) We are the Section of Family Practice with duties defined in the Doctors of BC constitution including:
- Responsibility for setting the Section’s medical service fee schedule
- Consider business and economic matters pertaining to the interests of the Section and make written recommendations thereon to the Board and to the Tariff Committee
2) We are one of 25 independent Societies constitutionally associated with Doctors of BC
- Two thirds of all sections are also registered as independent Societies e.g. the BC Orthopedic Association , the BC Society of Rheumatologists and the BC Pediatric Society
3) We are one of 2 distinct Societies which serve a unique representative role within the structure of Doctors of BC:
- Doctors of BC membership is roughly half specialists and half general practitioners.
- The SGP – represents general practitioners at the Doctors of BC board and nominates representatives to Negotiations and to the General Practitioner Services Committee (GPSC)
- The SSPS – represents specialists at the Doctors of BC board and nominates representatives to Negotiations and to the Specialist Services Committee (SSC)
SGP’s unique lens: Primary Care
An organizational structure which enshrines this perspective makes BC’s medical association different from medical associations in other provinces.
That difference, is making a difference.
Over the past several years respect and acknowledgement for the work of family practice has grown.
We are here for the family doctors of BC. We are you.